Between 18:30 in the evening and 08:00 in the morning, at weekends and bank holidays, the Derbyshire County Primary Care Trust is responsible for the out-of-hours service.


When it's less urgent than 999

If you need medical help fast, but it isn't a 999 emergency, you can now call NHS 111.

NHS 111 will assess you, provide advice and direct you straight away to the local service that can help you best.

You should use the NHS 111 service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it's not a life-threatening situation.

You should call 111 if:

  • It's not a 999 emergency.
  • You think you need to go to A&E or another NHS urgent care service.
  • You don't think it can wait for an appointment with your GP, or you don't know who to call for medical help.

For less urgent health needs you should still contact your GP in the usual way .



Patients with minor injuries who need medical attention should be taken to the Casualty Department at the Whitworth Hospital. More serious injuries should be taken to the A & E Department at Chesterfield Royal Hospital.

In an Emergency You Can:

  • dial 999 for an ambulance
  • go straight to the Accident and Emergency Department at Chesterfield Royal Hospital
  • if you are not sure what to do, call the surgery immediately for advice from the duty doctor.


Out-of-hours services are generally busy so please think carefully before asking to see a doctor and only do so if you genuinely cannot wait until the surgery re-opens.

In a genuine emergency you should call 999. Chest pains and / or shortness of breath constitute an emergency.  


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website